The Honors Festival is an opportunity for music students of current MAME members and non- MAME members to audition for the Honors Recital. This is a competitive event adjudicated by a professional musician. The event is open to all instruments and voice. The Honors Recital will feature selected students to perform in the Sanctuary of Christ Presbyterian Church on Sunday, February 5, 2023. See details about the recital below.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: December 30, 2022. Please mail paper registration forms and one check per teacher (payable to MAME) postmarked no later than December 30, 2022 via US Mail to: Madison Area Music Educators, Honors Festival, PO BOX 44152, Madison, WI 53744. Audition times will be sent out via e-mail.
AUDITION FEE: (2 pieces maximum): MAME Member $28 per student NON-MAME Member $45 per student.
AUDITIONS: Saturday January 28, 2023 from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Christ Presbyterian Church 944 E. Gorham Street, Madison, WI 53703.
Adjudicator: Jane Peckham, NCTM
- The festival is open to students Grade 5 through 12, of both MAME members and non-MAME members. Entrants will be critiqued and ranked according to accuracy, musicality, musicianship, and performance ability. A limited number of those who audition will be invited to perform at the February 5th recital.
- Students may choose to enter as “comments only” and decline the opportunity to perform.
- Adjudicator decisions are final. This year’s adjudicator will be Jane Peckham, NCTM
- Repertoire, either one or two pieces, must be memorized and not exceed ten (10) minutes. If a student enters two pieces, the judge will evaluate each one independently and may suggest only one for the recital. Students requiring accompaniment must provide their own accompanist. They must provide a legal score to the judge with measures numbered. A forgotten score automatically changes the status of the audition to “Comments Only”. Final decisions will be at the discretion of the adjudicator.
- All instruments may use the following as repertoire guidelines regarding minimum level:
- WSMA Solo and Ensemble: Lists A and B Repertoire
- Federation Lists: Medium Difficulty and above
- Jane Magrath’s Pianist’s Guide to Standard Performance and Teaching Literature: Level 6 or above
- Teachers who enter students in the MAME Honors Festival are expected to work on the day of the auditions. If the teacher is not able to attend on the event day, a reliable substitute must fulfill the work shift. Please provide as much advance notice as possible about any assigned work changes. If a teacher has been assigned to work and either does not arrive, or has not provided a substitute, a fine of $75.00 (payable to MAME and sent to the Chair) will be charged to the teacher. If the fee is not paid within 30 days of being issued, the teacher is not eligible to enter students in future MAME events. This also applies if the teacher or substitute does not fulfill the entire assigned work shift. The event chairperson has discretion to waive the fine, based on extenuating circumstances.
Date: Sunday, February 5, 2023
Location: Christ Presbyterian Church Sanctuary, 944 E. Gorham Street, Madison, WI 53703
2:00pm, Junior Recital (grades 5-8), warmup at 1:30pm
4:00pm, Senior Recital (grades 9-12), warmup at 3:30pm
Performances are free and open to the public
Information about the Honors Festival can also be found at our website: www.madisonmusiceducators.org.
Chairs: Lana Robotewskyj and Shad Wenzlaff